6.25.2008

WOD 080625

Todays WOD is called "Fight Gone Bad." Its supposed to emulate the cardivascular demands of an MMA fight. The workout is divided into 3 5 minutes rounds, and you can rest one minute between each round. Each round is subdivided into 5 one minute exercises as follows:

1) 20 lbs medicine ball wall throw (for height -- 10')
2) 75 lbs sumo deadlift high pull
3) 20" box jumps
4) 75 lbs push press
5) row machine for calories

source : http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD1

I didnt have a row machine or 20 lbs medicine ball, so I scaled:

1) 10 lbs medicine ball wall throw (for height -- 10')
2) 75 lbs sumo deadlift high pull
3) 24" box jumps
4) 75 lbs push press
5) burpees

The workout was short but intense. I got plenty of stares in the gym at work from the curlys. (Those who curl between bouts of strutting around bragging about their boats.) Per crossfit, you should record total reps and calories for each round to benchmark improvement, but I just wanted to make it through the workout.

I'm not sure how well FGB mimics the demands of an MMA fight. I have many years of wrestling and judo experience, and some boxing and brazilian jiu jitsu, but the demands of those sports are much more anaroebic than FGB. Fighting movements are much more explosive, shorter than one minute, and generally involve bodyweight resistance at strange angles. Plus, FGB fails t introduce the physical and psychological effects of getting punched in the face. Next time I FGB I'll ask someone at the gym to punch me in the face during my exercises.

2 comments:

MMAdrian said...

Let me know next time you do FGB! I'd be glad to do intervals of punching you in the face mixed with rear naked chokes!

That does seem like a really tough workout, but doesn't seem like fight training per se. throwining 10-20 lbs or high pulls with 75 isn't the same as wrestling with a guy who weighs as much as you.

If we can get 3 guy together one night, I'll show you how to really emulate a fight gone bad!!! My instructor had me doing this and it got me in top notch shape FAST!

5 rounds, 5 min each
1 guy is the fighter, one strictly for standup sparring, and one for ground sparring.

The fighter alternates between the two, 1 minute full blast sparring with each, for 5 total minutes.

29 (1 min rest between rounds) minutes and I'm anihilated!!!

plieb said...

thats pretty brutal. in wrestling we used to do king of the hill where you would divide into groups of 3-4. Whoever got the takedown would stay in the center of the ring. It was a great equalizer because the better wrestlers would end up wrestling fresher guys.