6.29.2008

WOD 080629

Crossfit includes benchmark workouts -- affectionately known as the "girls" -- that are intended to measure your progress. The idea is that you periodically perform the girls and compare your results with the last time you performed the same workout. Today was my first girl... Lynne.

Lynne:
  • 5 rounds for max reps of
    • body weight bench press
    • pull ups
This workout surprised me because up until this point we haven't done any bench pressing. In fact, I've picked up on a decidedly anti-benchpress vibe. The benchpress if often disparaged as non-functional and requiring special equipment.

Anyway, I was actually a little nervious to bench because the last time I benched I strained my left pec. Back in the good old days I was a big bencher and I would regularly perform sets on incline bench with 225-275. Those days are long gone.

Anyway, my workout:
  • 5 rounds max reps:
    • 1 mile run (8 mins)
    • bodyweight bench press (185) 6/5/4/4/3
    • dead-hang pull ups (no kipping) 11/8/6/7/6

I was disappointed by my rep count of bench and pullups but I'll take it. Without rest between sets and with no spotter I didn't really push things. My bench sets probably could have been 1-2 reps higher each but this will give me a nice starting point for the next time I meet Lynne in a dark alley. Even the fact that I'm critical of my bench performance after a multi-year layoff indicates how deep the benchpress mentality runs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My WOD

ran 3 miles

3 supersets of incline bench (machine), pullups until failure, and machine upright row until failure(150/pullup/60lbs). Forearms may have given out before shoulders on the upright row.

bs

plieb said...

is there a doctor in the house? If your forearms are giving out youre not doing enough strangers.

thats a lot of work for one workout!

Unknown said...

Crossfit makes a lot of sense to me but my base fitness level isn't where it needs to be to do a lot of the WOD's. I also want something that I can do at the house or in a hotel room if necessary. I've been doing High Intensity Interval training over the last week and been pretty happy with the results, though at 38 my recovery takes longer than it used to. My last two workouts:

Body Weight Circuit - all exercised performed in succession without rest
6x15 prisoner squats
6x15 Spiderman push ups
6x15 Stick Ups
6x max pull-ups (weak on this exercise, so I perform max reps ea. set)
6x20 diagonal lunges
6x25 mountain climbers

Cardio HIT Workout on treadmill:
5 minute warm up
4.0 speed/2.0 incline - 1 min
4.0 @ 3.0 to 10.0 - 30 seconds at each level
5.0 @ 10.0 incline - 45 seconds
4.0 @ 2.0 incline - 2 minutes
5.5 @ 7.0 - 45 seconds
4.0 @ 2.0 - 2 minutes
6.0 @ 5.0 - 45 seconds
4.0 @ 2.0 - 2 minutes
9.0 @ 2.0 - 45 seconds
4.0 @ 2.0 - 2 minutes
9.0 @ 2.0 - 45 seconds
5 minute cooldown

My biggest fitness goal of being able to dunk will probably never come to fruition, so I'm aiming for my vanity goal of getting a washboard stomach. Exercise is headed in the right direction, just need to develop the willpower to avoid beer and Tex Mex.

MMAdrian said...

I'm still sprinting, but now I've upped the distance to 400 meters (one lap), and it nearly killed me!!! After only 4 laps I was completely spent.

Doing the 400s on Mondays and Thursdays and heavy strength circuits on Tuesdays and Fridays is working very well for me. I'm on week 5 of this format and haven't plateaued yet.

I will say that the 100s and 120s were harder on my knees than 400s.