7.01.2008

Crossfit Elements

Today I completed my second Crossfit Elements session at crossfit central. Crossfit elements is a prerequisite for the crossfit program where are coach teaches you the fundamental moves you will be using.

The elements program is supposed to cover:
  • Squat
  • Shoulder Press
  • Deadlift
  • Front Squat
  • Push Press
  • Sumo Deadlift High Pull
  • Overhead Squat
  • Push Jerk
  • Med Ball Clean
  • Rowing
  • Muscle Up
  • Ring Dip
  • Ring Row
  • Single Arm Snatch
  • GHD Situp
  • GHD Hip/Back/Both extension
  • Barbell Clean
  • Barbell Snatch w/ focus on the “scoop”
  • kipping pull up (pull up)
In two sessions we covered most of these lifts. We did not cover GHD Situp/Back extension, single arm snatch, or the muscle up. I was supposed to have three sessions but they said they would cover everything in two. maybe they will comp me a drop in.

The instructor was friendly, knowledgeable, and intense. He did a good job of coaching me through the movements and demonstrating the movements. He was totally focused on my form and consistently called me on any cheating or slips. I would definitely benefit from additional individual coaching sessions with this instructor.

More than anything, I learned that I have been performing many exercises incorrectly. The kipping pullup was very difficult and I have a lot of bad habits to unlearn. Specifically, I lower myself after a completed rep, and the breaking action spoils my momentum.

In terms of the deadlift and clean, he gave me valuable pointers for the starting position such as keeping the bar in contact with my body and raising/lowering the bar in a straight line.

The snatch, SDLHP, front squat, overhead squat, and kipping pull up all required a considerable amount of shoulder flexibility that I did not have. That is definitely an area where I need to improve that should pay big dividends in terms of the amount of weight I can lift and safety. I was also surpised byt he amount of head motion and shoulder shrugging required to move the barbell efficiently.

The lifts feel different (much easier) when you perform them correctly, transferring the momentum up the kinetic chain from your hips to your shoulders instead of trying to muscle everything.

No comments: