7.07.2008

CC WOD

Today I attended my first crossfit class and crossfit central. The class started at 6:45. I rolled out of bed at 6:35, ate a banana, drank a cup of water, and walked down the street to the gym.

The active warm up was nice and brisk... some push ups, squats, trunk rotations, jumping jacks, and a 400m jog. After the warm up I felt ready to go.

The workout:
  • 100 pullups
  • 100 pushups
  • 100 situps
  • 100 squats
I knocked out about 60 pushups to start and then I hit a wall. My stomach felt queasy and I could only do 3-5 reps for the remainder of the drill.

next it was on to situps. Feet unsupported, and down until your back is flat. the coach didnt really care how we got up as long as we got up. i watched my classmates pump out situps while i struggled. it was very discouraging.

the squats were not difficult and i moved through them quickly. I think I only stopped twice.

the pullups were a challenge. Working out for time is totally different than your typical sets/reps. I did about 20 dead hang pullups / chin ups over three sets before moving to the jumping negatives. This also took me a very long time.

When I finished I didnt know I was supposed to yell time so the coach recorded my finished total as 32 minutes. It was probably more like 28, which still puts me in dead last place in the class. very discouraging. However, I did all of the reps and I tried my best to work out with good form. Some of my classmates did not even attempt real pullups -- kipping or otherwise -- before moving to the jumping negatives. Others went with modified pushups.

Anyway, I definitely have some room to improve. The intensity was a huge shock to my system, particularly since I'm not accustomed to waking up -- much less working out -- that early. Next Wednesday I'm really going to try and focus on being prepared before class. No more eating. Hopefully I will acclimate quickly.

No comments: