7.02.2008

WOD 080702

As posted:
  • Five rounds for time of:
    • 135 pound Deadlift, 15 reps
    • 135 pound Hang power clean, 12 reps
    • 135 pound Front Squat, 9 reps
    • 135 pound Push Jerk, 6 reps
I tried to really hammer on the form that I was taught on Monday and Tuesday. Consequently, I went with lighter weight.
  • Ran 2 miles (15:20)
  • Five rounds of:
    • deadlift (115 x 10, 95 x 10/10/10/10)
    • hang power clean (115 x 6, 95 x 8/6/6/6)
    • front squat (115 x 10, 95 x 10/10/10/12)
    • push jerk (115 x 4, 95 x 6/6/6/6/6)
The workout was NOT fun. I understand the intent was to progress to lower reps with more difficult exercises at a constant weight, but I was unable to follow due to my comfort level with certain lifts. I also didnt want to change weight between exercises so I went with the lower weight.

The deadlift and front squat were easy while the hang power clean was difficult at 115. The push jerk was do-able at 115, but I wasn't confident doing this unfamiliar exercise at my work gym. Instead I chose to really concentrate on my form. Hopefully that will pay dividends in the long run.

2 comments:

MMAdrian said...

The Hang Clean is such an explosive movement that I doubt I'd get 12 reps regardless of the weight. My feet tend to leave the ground on each rep. ALso, I find the front squat easier that cleans of any variety. The tempo is more controlled, thus I can pump out more reps.

What do you call a push jerk? How is it different than a regular push press?

plieb said...

the push jerk is the final movement in the clean and jerk but you start from a front squat position. With the push press i start with a bit of a bakward lean, bounce from the knees, and then press the weight up with the shoulders. The push jerk -- as explained to me and I could be wrong -- is more of an explosive jump and pop from the hips. The hip pop propels the bar upward. There is very little shoulder pressing other than locking the elbows when the bar reaches its highest point. The push jerk is not an upper body strength movement. There are videos of both exercises at crossfit.com.