8.14.2010

Rugby 100814 -- shreveport

we played in the TOLA championship tournament in Shreveport. We were missing 3-4 of our top guys but we picked up 2 players from the Austin RFC. We took second but we were disappointed in the overall outcome. We lost 2 matches to Shreveport and won 4 matches against Tyler, Ft. Sill, Polynesians II, and Polynesians I. New Orleans didn't show.

Personally, I played every minute except 3 minutes. Ty sat me 1 minute in the semi-final and 2 minutes in the final. By the final, my legs were just dead. I got nailed in the quarter final, a bad hip pointer on my left leg, and had to stand on the pitch for about 1 minute without moving to recover. Luckily, I caught a nice pass and scored a 50m run to put us ahead.

At 35, I'm happy I played 6 consecutive matches. I have never played that many minutes before and it was brutally hot. I'd like to play again next summer, but come into the summer in better shape and change my game to incorporate more passing, kicking, and creating. All in all it was a brilliant sevens season and fun.

Results:
  1. Dallas 2-2
  2. Austin 4-1 / 3-2 -- Plate champs
  3. San Antonio 4-1/4-1 -- 3rd & 2nd
  4. Dallas 0-3
  5. Baton Rouge 4-1 -- 3rd
  6. Houston 5-0 -- 1st
  7. Corpus 3-2
  8. Shreveport 4-2 -- 2nd
Overall, 33-14, placed in 4 of 8 tournament with 1 Plate finish. We finished top 3 in our last 3 serious tournaments and tons of guys got good sevens experience.

No comments: