8.05.2008

back in the saddle

Today I returned to Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Austin. I trained under Phil Cardella at this school for about 2.5 years and earned a blue belt before stopping when we had our first child. Now, 4 fours and 2 children later, I'm ready to make a comeback.

This morning I attended the AM class. Some observations:
  • The attendees seem more experienced and athletic than they did 5-6 years ago. Jiu jitsu is more mainstream and the bar has definitely been raised.
  • Everyone was very humble, outgoing, and respectful.
  • The school is no frills, with mismatched mats, weights, etc. I like it a lot.
One of the reasons I enjoyed high school athletics was that each sport had its season. I think I'm going to take the same approach. 3 months of jiu jitsu, 3 months of boxing, 3 months of rugby 7s, maybe 3 months of crossfit classes or a new sport. And I intend to supplement all of this with crossfitting on my off days.

No comments: