8.27.2008

The talkers

During my workout some guy came over and asked if he could work in with me on the pull up bar. I was doing weighted chin ups with a 25 lbs plate suspended from a chain and caribeener. [?] He took the chain and attached it to a weightlifting belt and did a few pull ups. When he gave it back to me he said I should use a belt because "it works better" than putting the chain around my waist.

I did a quick superset of weighter chins and dips then gave him back the chain. he attached it to his belt then wandered off into the gym to talk to someone. 3-4 minutes later he came back and said "Sorry about that. I needed to catch her before she left for the day." I said no worries. he followed up with "Besides you don't wait long enough between your sets anyway."

After his next set of pull ups he handed me back the chain and said "You should do pull ups instead of chin ups. Chin ups are too easy."

What compels people to give advice to complete strangers in the gym? And how come these guys always wear tank tops tucked into bike shorts? Maybe the same guy has been following me around from gym to gym over the past 20 years I've been lifting weights.

3 comments:

terry said...

Next time, just tell Burns to leave you alone.

MMAdrian said...

THAT is exactly why I train in my garage!!!!! I don't want to stare at the muffin tops, or take advice from the guy who curls in the squat rack.

What did you say to him, if anything?

plieb said...

I more or less ignored him. He is obviously a dedicated body builder type, which I respect. I just don't understand people who call the shot before they know the angle. How can someone give advice on exercise until they know your goals? IE -- maybe I'm working out to loose weight, not get bigger.